Planning a trip to the apple orchard this fall? One of my favorite fall New England traditions is apple picking, and I hate to have to leave my dog behind. After all, apple picking is way more fun when you can do it with your pup! Here are a few of my “picks” for the best apple orchards in New England that allow dogs.
Doe Orchards, Harvard, MA
Doe Orchards located in Harvard, Massachusetts just within an hour’s drive from Boston, is one of my favorite dog friendly apple orchards. Even during peak times, we found the place relatively quiet and crowd-free. And the surrounding foliage is so pretty and peaceful. They also have a Christmas tree farm if you want to come back in the winter!
Nashoba Valley Winery, Bolton, MA
Nashoba Valley Winery, an hour outside of Boston in western Massachusetts, offers fun for the whole family. The beautiful grounds boast a winery, brewery, distillery, and a restaurant. Kids and dogs will love wandering the apple orchard and vineyards, and you’ll love relaxing with a glass of wine and a cheese board afterward.
Tips for Apple Picking with your Dog
Apple picking is a fall activity that’s fun for the whole family – including your dog! Below are some tips to make your trip fun for everyone:
- Apples are safe for dogs to consume and make for a tasty treat! Just watch out for rotten or insect-infested ones on the ground.
- Be respectful. Bring poop bags with you and clean up after your pup, and keep your dog on leash and in control around others, especially kids.
- Keep your distance from other animals. Only approach other dogs with their owners’ permission, and stay clear of farm animals. We learned on a previous trip that our dog wouldn’t stop barking at horses (he is a shepherd after all), and he nearly caused a stampede.
- Always call ahead to make sure the orchard is okay with you bringing your dog. Information on the web could be outdated, and you don’t want to find out their rules have changed after driving all the way out to the country.
- Have fun! Explore the trails, take lots of pictures, and enjoy a beautiful, fall day at the orchard with your best friend.
Do you know of other dog-friendly places to go apple picking in New England? Share in the comments below!